Hey everyone. We are currently living in some of the most uncertain times in history, which have affected just about everyone. As the effects of the pandemic continue with no clear end it sight, we are all growing weary, anxious and fearful. All that we’ve known, our lives, our businesses, our livelihoods, have been drastically altered. We are doing everything we can to stay healthy for not just ourselves but for everyone close to us as well. In my experience, I’ve learned several pillars you should pay attention to in order to boost your immune system during not just COVID-19, but regular times as well.
This is the time to stay focused on what’s most important, yet, it’s getting progressively harder to do. So, we need each other for support, community and accountability. Here are the essential pillars to health we should keep in mind as we weather these uncertain times together.
1. Eat plenty of vegetables and fruits. Aim for at least 9 to 12 servings per day.
2. It’s a good idea to honor the times of meals by practicing fasting. There are many benefits to fasting, and now more than ever it helps to keep a structured schedule throughout your day to keep your meals consistent day to day.
3. Drink lots of water. Aim to drink at least half of your body weight in ounces each day.
1. Stress is an intangible trigger, and it’s important to be mindful of your stressors. Even if you feel you are handling stress well, chances are that there are underlying low-grade stressors that we are all subject to.
2. Practicing stress-modifying techniques on a regular basis such as meditation and breathing exercises are great ways to reduce stress.
1. We need quality, sufficient quantity (seven to eight hours) of sleep a night, and many of us struggle either to fall asleep or to stay asleep.
2. Keep a nightly ritual to wind down.
3. Shut off all the electronic devices to calm your mind for restful sleep.
Movement is absolutely necessary. I recommend Yoga because it allows you to truly connect your mind to the body. Moving also enhances your metabolism, immune system, detoxification and helps you to maintain longevity and health in all your joints and muscles.
It’s easy to feel lonely and isolated during these times. But be selective in what types of connections that you seek as they can determine your overall outlook and mood. Remember, if you find yourself getting irritated or irritable when you’re around someone, it’s time to reflect and figure out if that relationship is serving you. Setting health boundaries is key to a lasting, stress-free relationship.
To learn more about how to boost your immune system during COVID-19 and to join a community of like-minded rebels striving to improve their health, join my FREE Facebook group, the Tribe of Autoimmune Health Rebels.