Lupus skin rash is the most common complaint among Lupus patients. And the Lupus skin rash treatments that actually work are too few and far in between.
Lupus skin rash was once the worst symptom for me. As a woman in her 20’s just diagnosed with lupus, I was desperate to look not only normal but cared a lot about looking good. In the 90’s there weren’t many known options for Lupus skin rash treatments.
Considered a life threatening disease, I felt guilty caring mostly about my looks.
My doctors kept insisting that I take prednisone and I was scared to death to take it because of the side effects. My concerns weren’t with the health risks as much as it was for the fear of the moon face, weight gain, and thinning of the hair. I said “No Way”!
I had gone through years in school learning about the textbook physiology, chemistry, sciences, and pathology. Yet, my symptoms were nothing like the text book cases.
That’s when I lost faith in the Medical System. I realized quickly that the doctors don’t always have the answers to your symptoms. They too, understand it from those text books and limited case studies. This was going to be my problem.
As a medical provider, I have to be careful of what I recommend to my patients, however, when it came to my body, I became a living experiment. From hydro colon therapy, Qi Gong, TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine), to Gerson Therapy, I tried them all.
In retrospect, I learned that it takes time for your Lupus symptoms to calm down.
This is because the rashes are the result of the inflammation within you. It’s your immune reaction to some trigger (toxins) that enter your body and now your body is crazed and makes antibodies which cause such rashes to come to the surface of our skin.
Every Rheumatologist I’ve had were quick to recommend all kinds of meds for my issues like prednisone, methotrexate, Imuran, Plaquenil, gabapentin, Prozac, and Ibuprofen but minimized the side effects of such medications.
If you really want to treat your skin rash once and for all. There are ways to calm the rashes if you struggle with them right now, but long term, you’ll need to remove the toxins that you feed your body daily. Get away from those that perpetuate the inflammation. Make sure to replenish your body with nutrients for glowing skin, nails, and to protect against the meds we sometimes have to use.
Lupus Rash Treatments that actually worked for me:
- Aloe Vera: you can find organic aloe vera on Amazon.
- Sunsreen: Most of us are photosensitive. If you don’t think you are, the meds that you take can likely cause photosensitivity so wear a good UVA and UVB sunscreen that’s gentle and hydrating. My favorite is
- Facial Moisturizer: Make sure your make up and lotion do not contain unnecessary toxins like parabens, phthalates, fragrance, and formaldehyde. Our skin can absorb these toxins and create so much havoc in our immune system and it’s just NOT what we need.
- Cucumber Masks: This is a Korean Beauty secret that is cheap and easy! Slice cucumbers (thin is best) and place over your entire face and recline and rest for about 10 min or until the cucumbers feel dry. Over time, the scarring and redness will diminish and it’ll give you an instant glow. Very cooling for your face.
- Wear a hat (Siggi Womens Summer Bucket Boonie UPF 50+ Wide Brim Sun Hat Cord Cap Beach Accessories Navy, OS is best) if you’ll be in the sun longer than 10 min.., yes, just 10 minutes is long enough to get your skin to react.
- Drink lots of lemon infused water, it’s alkalizing and hydrating with lots of vitamin C to help you fight the Lupus rash from inside out.
How do you manage the skin rash? I’d love to hear from you, so please leave me comments, subscribe, like, and share as always and talk to you soon!